Friday, January 1, 2016

Mary Frances Stoner...continued

Murder trials are NEVER as cut and dry as they appear on TV however the trial of Darrell Gene Devier was anything but cut and dry. He was allowed appeals which are common, and even expected in today's criminal justice society, however he was also given an overturned verdict due to a previous non-conviction allegation being admitted as evidence during the trial. Devier was accused, but never charged, with raping another young girl prior to killing Mary Frances. His original death sentence was overturned to life with the possibility of parole. This means that he could have been released after a LIFE sentence which in most states is only 7 (yes SEVEN) years behind bars. He would have been eligible for parole when I was around my sister's age when she was murdered by this monster. Thankfully another trial was set the death sentence was reinstated. He served until his execution on May 18, 1995. My family was in attendance at the original execution date however due to heavy storms in the area it was cancelled. He had no last words for us, the grieving victim's family, and he enjoyed his last meal which Mary Frances never had the privilege of enjoying.

There are many that say that an eye for an eye is antiquated and inhumane however my reply is this: how humane was he when he raped a 12? How humane was he when he took boulders, some weighing almost half as much as she did, and bashed in her head? How humane was he when he sat in prison threatening to repeat his offense again, if allowed? How humane was he when callously left her alone, cold, and beaten in the woods that day? You may say that we are to be better than him however to that I say, no. We are to follow the law of the land and the laws sentenced him to death. He received his just desserts and could not have cared less that we suffered for almost 16 years while he sat in his cell reading, writing, calling, etc. He paid a small penance for his actions.

Even those that are anti-death penalty cannot argue that taking a young innocent child in such a manner deserves nothing less than death. I have argued over the years with those that believe he should have been sentenced to life and most of the time they walk away thinking more clearly that he should not be allowed to live however they still do not agree with the death penalty. It appears that when a young, innocent child is taken so brutally people's minds change some.

What are your thoughts? Should he have been allowed to live out his years "thinking about what he did"? Should he have been allowed to be given a lethal injection? Please share your thoughts. I will NOT bash anyone for a differing opinion as long as I am respected in the same manner. Thank you!
Sallie

7 comments:

  1. To be completely honest I'm jot really sure how I feel about the death penalty other than I think it should be left to the victims family to decide whether or not the guilty party is sentenced to death. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind, but at the end of the day it is the victim (and their family) who should have the final say when it comes to the death penalty.
    Like most things in life unless you've been there, experienced something like this for yourself, you don't truly know how you'd feel or what you'd believe is the right course of action. But that's just my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and replying! I truly appreciate it! :) I completely agree with this logic as it allows the family of the victim to choose the way in which retribution is paid. I believe Devier received exactly what he should have received. I know I sound cold hearted but what he did to her was nothing short of hell on Earth for her to experience.

      Delete
  2. He did NOT get what he deserved. He DESERVED worse. He deserved to suffer. His punishment was not harsh enough. He was given civility that he did not show. I believe people that do this type thing do not deserve any civility. Keeping him in a prison for his life, even with his "freedoms" taken away, is not punishment. It's just life altering. Yes, I am harsh. What he did was harsh. I have no sympathy for the embodiment of evil that these type people are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following and replying to my post! :) I couldn't agree more however there are some that believe he was treated unfairly by being electrocuted in the electric chair after serving on death row for over a decade. He was privileged while living there instead of 6 feet under like my sister who never got to finish high school, attend ballet school in New York, get married, have kids, meet my husband and kids, etc. Her life was snuffed out by an atrocious killer that would have done it again if not caught. :(

      Delete
  3. So from time to time and every year around Christmas, friends think about Mary Frances and that horrible day.We were all so innocent.Mary Frances like most of us was well raised.Godly.Worked hard in school.Gave it all she had in extra curricula activities.She was a baton twirling beauty. She walked with grace and dignity. She wasn't a silly girl.She was a serious girl and Mary Frances had plans.Most of us didn't think much past HS.Mary Frances did.She was working toward her bright future more than all of us.If I remember correctly, she had cows she took care of at home because was and I mean was gonna be in college when she graduated.I know Mary Frances would have been successful.I was in ABC preschool with her.And her momma Mary was one of the mothers who took us to the YMCA so us kids could learn to swim.This young lady did not and I mean did not priss her tail around at school.She never was worried about boys.She never acted in an ungodly way at all.With that being said people don't wanna hear what I got to say about Darrell Devier.....I think they should've done to him exactly what he did to her.....exactly the same thing. Then maybe these perverts that wanna go after a child might not.Death penalty might be bad to alot....But what waited for him after the death penalty is alot worse.There is a place called Hell and i believe that is his address.Sallie I know from knowing your family....You were a real blessing.A gift from God to your parents.I hope God richly blesses you gal.And Mary Frances loved you so so much and is watching over you and very proud.much love.
    VIVIAN WEST BRATCHER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am so sorry I am just now replying to your entry! I had a lot going on in my life in 2016 with my marriage falling apart, my mother very ill, etc. 2017 was a much better year in that I was pregnant with our daughter however my mother passed away before she was born. Thank you for your post and kind comments about my family. My sister was an amazing, smart, caring, and loving young lady. I miss her every day and I hope I am making her proud with how I am raising our kids and what I have chosen to do in life. She is definitely missed by so many. God bless!

      Delete
  4. I just read about this case and I want to say how very sorry I am for your loss. Your sister and your family didn't deserve this pain, and the person who did this is truly evil. I'm glad the monster was executed, although he obviously deserved a lot worse.

    I'm actually thinking about writing an article on this case, and, if it's OK with you, I'd be very glad to talk to you about Mary's life and get your input.

    (I can be reached at suzukinathie@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete